A spinal cord injury is one of the most traumatic, life changing injuries imaginable. Those who have sustained a spinal cord injury due to someone else's negligence or misconduct may be entitled to financial compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. Although no amount of money can ease the pain and suffering of a debilitating spinal cord injury, it can help ease the financial burden of medical bills and lost wages. Let's take a closer look at the causes of spinal cord injury and how the personal injury lawyers at Quick Law Group, PLLC, in Kirkland, WA can help.
About Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries may be traumatic or non-traumatic. Traumatic spinal cord injuries include those that happen suddenly as a result of a traumatic impact to the spine. Such an impact may cause the spine to fracture, crush, compress the vertebrae, or dislocate. Other sources of traumatic spinal cord injuries may include gunshot wounds to the back or a knife wound that cuts through the spinal cord.
With traumatic spinal cord injuries, damage may be instant or become worse over several days to weeks due to residual bleeding, fluid accumulation, or swelling. Non-traumatic spinal cord injuries generally develop gradually over time and may be caused by such issues as disc degeneration, arthritis, infection, or cancer.
Whether traumatic or non-traumatic, a spinal cord injury can lead to nerve damage and permanent disability. Depending on the location of the spinal cord injury, different areas of the body may become impaired. A neck, or cervical, injury may affect the whole body while a lumbar injury may only affect the lower portion of the body.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury can happen in the blink of an eye. Some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Falls: Falling, whether from a short distance or great height, can lead to a variety of injuries, including spinal cord damage.
- Sports and recreation-related injuries: Injuries sustained in sports or recreational activities can lead to spinal cord damage. This may include diving into shallow water, crashing a motorbike, or suffering major impact while playing contact sports.
- Occupational injury: Occupational injuries, like falling at work or getting hit by a falling object, can cause a spinal cord injury.
- Motor vehicle accidents: Car and motorcycle accidents are some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries.
- Acts of violence: Acts of violence, like a stabbing or gunshot wound, may also lead to spinal cord injuries.
A Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help Seek Damages
Those who have suffered a spinal cord injury due to another person's negligence or misconduct may be entitled to receive financial damages for their pain and suffering and should contact a personal injury lawyer to explore their legal options. A personal injury lawyer can help seek damages for pain and suffering, medical expenses, lost wages, and future lost wages.
Contact the Personal Injury Lawyers of Quick Law Group, PLLC
If you or someone you love has suffered a spinal cord injury, you are encouraged to contact our team of personal injury lawyers to learn more about your legal options.