Brain Injury and Medical Malpractice
When seeking medical attention, patients should expect to receive a certain standard of care. When this standard isn’t met it can have devastating results, including serious brain injuries. A brain injury lawyer at Quick Law Group, PLLC can help.
A brain injury caused by the negligence of a doctor or surgeon may be considered medical malpractice. Victims of brain injury and medical malpractice in Bellevue, WA, deserve compensation for their injuries and pain and suffering. The attorneys at Quick Law Group, PLLC can determine if you have a medical malpractice claim.
About Medical Malpractice
Medical malpractice refers to injury or harm caused by a doctor or other medical professional as a result of a failure to perform their duties with competence.
In order to be considered medical malpractice, some criteria must be met, such as:
- There must be a doctor-patient relationship
- The doctor or medical professional was negligent
- The negligence caused the injury
- Specific damages, such as pain or additional medical costs, occurred
What Types of Medical Mistakes Can Cause Brain Injury?
Medical errors can lead to brain injuries. Often, these types of errors cause brain damage as a result of oxygen deprivation. Some examples of medical mistakes that may lead to brain injury include:
- Heart attack or stroke misdiagnosis: Both heart attacks and strokes can reduce or prevent oxygen from reaching the brain. Misdiagnosing either condition can mean a loss of valuable time in keeping oxygen flowing to the brain.
- Anesthesia errors: Errors in the administration of anesthesia can reduce oxygen supply to the brain. If a lack of oxygen is allowed to persist, it can cause permanent damage to the brain cells.
- Medication errors: Medication errors, such as prescribing the wrong medication or administering the wrong dosage of a drug, can affect heart rate, breathing, and other conditions. These can all prevent oxygen from reaching the brain, leading to injury and possibly permanent damage.
- Untreated brain infections: Brain infections, like meningitis, trichinosis, and abscesses can spread or worsen, resulting in brain injury and permanent damage.
- Birth injury: Birth injuries can be caused by a wide range of medical errors, including failure to respond to fetal distress, failure to diagnose medical problems in the mother, failure to perform a C-section in a timely manner, and misuse of delivery instruments. All of these errors can cause brain injuries in newborns.
Seek Compensation for Brain Injury Caused by Medical Malpractice
Brain injuries can cause permanent damage and forever change a person and a family. Although no amount of money can erase the pain and reverse the damage of a brain injury caused by medical malpractice, recovering compensation for our Bellevue clients can help lessen the financial burden of such a serious injury.
Those who have suffered a brain injury as a result of medical malpractice may be able to recover compensation for:
- Loss of future wages
- Long-term care expenses
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
Contact the Quick Law Group, PLLC
If you or a loved one has suffered a brain injury that you believe was caused by medical malpractice, our attorneys can review the details of your case. Please schedule a consultation online or call our Bellevue attorneys at (425) 576-8150.