Studies have shown that motorcycles are far more dangerous than cars. The reasons why are not hard to imagine: they have two wheels, lack a protective barrier, and have minimal safety features. Nonetheless, riding a motorcycle is abundantly enjoyable, especially in the warm summer months.
There are a number of common motorcycle accident injuries and the expert legal team at Quick Law Group in Seattle, WA and Bellevue, WA will protect your rights if you have been injured on account of someone else’s error or negligence. Our expert attorneys help victims in motorcycle accidents and push for maximum compensation for their injuries.
Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Thousands of motorcyclists die every year in accidents. Those who survive bad accidents may face a number of serious injuries, including:
- Head injury: Head injuries are the most common type of motorcycle injury. The head, which houses your skull and brain, is one of the most important parts of your body. Considering the size of the brain, swelling of any kind can be problematic, especially if swelling continues past the skull. Skull cracks require hospitalization, as do concussions. Concussions can range from mild to severe, however, they can be extremely debilitating. Finally, brain damage is potentially fatal. Therefore, any contact to the head should be immediately examined.
- Neck injury: Closely related to head injuries, neck injuries are likewise extremely common in motorcycle accidents. Neck injuries can be fatal, or at the least, cause paralysis. Bikers who do not wear a helmet are at a much greater risk of serious injury and death.
- Road rash: Motorcyclists are often ejected from their seat in an accident. Even if they manage to hang on, they can be subject to road rash injuries when sliding across pavement. Depending on how thin your clothing is, there is a chance that your skin will be irritated or infected. In serious cases, nerve damage can occur. Antibiotics are helpful in preventing infection, however, it is wise to seek professional medical treatment after a road rash incident.
- Lower body injury: Injuries to the legs, knees, and feet are usually not fatal. However, they can result in permanent disability. Bones can be fractured, legs broken, and severe bruising can occur. It is recommended that bikers wear kneepads and other protective clothing to reduce the chance of large cuts.
- Muscle damage: Motorcycle accidents can cause permanent muscle damage anywhere on your body. Therefore, protecting yourself as well as possible is paramount. Wear protective safety gear, including a helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads. Also, exercise caution when on the road, as other drivers may be distracted, under the influence of drugs and alcohol, or simply not willing to share the road with a motorcyclist.
Speak with a Motorcycle Accident Attorney at Quick Law Group
Motorcycle accidents can result in devastating and permanent injuries. Be sure that, if you suffer a serious injury, your rights are protected. Quick Law Group will work to make certain you receive compensation to cover medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. To learn how we can help, contact us online or call (425) 576-8150 today.